Women’s Winter Cycling Pants for Fat Biking
Stay warm, ride happy. Part II.
Drumroll please, here is a list of winter cycling pants specific for women and ideal for fat biking. Because whenever I read a gear review I have to look up each item to see if it comes in a women’s version or if the men’s size might be workable.
The first seven winter pants are cycling-specific. My goal was to find a range of pants ideal for the weekend warrior to the hero endurance athlete. The list comes from recommendations from women fat bikers of both camps. Descriptions and photos are from the brand websites.
Also included at the end are a few men’s-only pants also recommended by women fat bikers.
Please note, you don’t need an expensive pair of cycling-specific pants for winter fat biking. If you have a ski kit, then you have a fat bike kit.
For years I wore my Swix cross-country ski pants for fat biking. They have a wind-proof front, articulated knees, side zips, and are stretchy. Under that I either wear my 3/4 length cycling bibs or tights.
My system worked well but at some point I became envious of the dudes and their Club Ride Fat Jack Fatbike fancy-pants. I bought a pair, which I ended up liking a lot and I also bought the women’s version, the Imogene. Fast forward a couple of years and I am happy to see that there are a few additional women’s winter cycling pants on the market. Here’s the list:
Loamy Tree Pants
Proudly made in Canada, the LOAMY is our all-new technical enduro pants! Meticulously designed, it has been tested and approved by our team members and ambassadors!
The fabric is light, breathable and provides 4-way stretch, allowing you to get amazing comfort while its durable water-repellent treatment (DWR), makes it so versatile for any ride.
Its ‘skinny’ fit ensures freedom of movement while pedaling and the pre-shaped knees allows you to wear your knee pads when things get rough whether riding Enduro, DH, or your local trails!
- Back elastic waistband with belt loops for additional adjustment.
- Double stitching for a better durability.
- 2 angled side zip pockets strategically positioned.
- Seamless crotch for increased comfort.
- Pre-shaped knee construction for compatibility with pads.
- Tapered Leg fit for pedaling.
- Quick dry.
A women’s water-and wind-resistant pant designed for the dedicated cold-weather rider and the toughest conditions.
- Softshell fabric combines warmth and protectionFive zippered pockets—two hand, one hip, two leg
- Two zippered leg vents provide increased ventilation
- Removable internal gaiter keeps deep snow out of leg openings
- Zippered double-snap front with internal adjustable waist belt
- Zippered leg openings for easy on and off that fits a wide range of boots
$84 – $120
Bike commutes and weekend rides can’t all be 70° and sunny. Sugoi ZeroPlus Wind women’s cycling pants offer warmth and stretch, along with wind- and water-resistant front panels and articulated knees.
- ZeroPlus thermal fabric offers full-motion stretch and warmth
- MicroFine fabric front panels add wind and water resistance
- Wide waistband with internal drawcord secures the comfortable fit
- Zippered hand pockets store essentials
Note: Discontinued by Club Ride but can be found on sale on other sites. The CR Overland Pant (#5) is listed below because it replaces the Imogene.
Fatbike girl: I’ve been wearing these for a few years now and they’ve held up to lots of abuse.
They are warm and wind-proof. They zip at the ankles which the men’s version is lacking. They are more fitted than the men’s and definitely hug mountain biking thighs and butt. However, they don’t have articulated knees, a gusseted crotch or durable canvas leg patches on the the thighs and ankles like the men’s.
Whether you’re pedaling frosty alpine singletrack on a brisk late-fall day, or trying to stay warm during a winter commute, the Imogene Pant is a technical winter pant that will keep you warm and dry from the mountains to the town.
They can be worn over cycling tights for extra protection from the elements, or used as a standalone pant for a variety of active winter endeavors. They’re made of a rugged, DWR-finished softshell that keeps body heat in and mud or snow out, with a waterproof membrane on the front to block out water while maintaining breathability.
The material is stretchy to provide mobility during high energy movement, with side leg vents that allow additional airflow if needed. They come in a slimmer fit, and in classic Club Ride fashion, have an unassuming style that is right at home hitting the town for some post-ride activities.
- Midweight softshell riding pants for cold and wet conditions
- Waterproof membrane blocks moisture while staying breathable
- Stretchy fabric is warm and won’t hamper movement on the bike
- Zippered side vents provide additional airflow if needed
- Gusseted leg opening easily fits over winter boots
- Casual style can be worn for post-ride endeavors
- Numerous pockets for storing phone, nutrition, & essentials
- Reflective accents improve visibility to others during low light
Built for a cyclist by a cyclist, the Overland Pant is true to its name. Outdoor adventures off the grid or in-town style, the Overland Pant is a pant that can fit in and perform in all occasions.
The mid-weight stretch woven fabric is tough enough to take a beating while still having the street style th at fi ts and forms to your shape.
- 2-Way Stretch
- DWR Finish for Water & Wind
- Articulated Knees For Improved Range of Motion
- 5 Pockets, 2 Front & 2 Back Hand Pockets, 1 Drop In Hip Pocket
- Left Cuff RideLight Reflective Accents
- Inseam 29″
- This pant is not padded, padded chamois shorts sold separately
- Sport Fit
sale $118.00 reg $170
From Endura’s web page it looks like there is a newer version but the image of the newer version has not been uploaded yet.
Mud shedding trail protection.
- Lightweight, durable, 4-way stretch front panels with DWR finish
- Durable 3-layer waterproof rear panels with taped seams for spray protection
- Stretch, wicking waistband with Velcro® side waist adjusters
- Zipped thigh vents with mesh inserts
- Zipped hand pockets
- Durable inner panels and outer ankle zip with gusset
- Clickfast™ liner compatible
- Reflective trims
- Rear mudguard not required!
- 90 day Satisfaction Guarantee
All day wet rides and constant down pours put high demands on your waterproof clothing. These light but fully sealed pants are made so your technical riding and pedaling ability remain unhindered, even as the weather deteriorates around you.
- GORE-TEX Active fabric is softer and quieter in use for higher comfort
- GORE-TEX Active product: lightweight, extremely breathable, durably waterproof and windproof
- Inseam length 82 cm / 32.3 inches
- Reflective details
- Comfortable elastic waistband
- Pre-shaped knees
- Small inside key pocket on waistband
- Wear-resistant seat reinforcement
- Zippers at lateral hem for easy access with shoes
I couldn’t find a price on the SWIX pants.
Weather protective ski-touring pants
Blizzard Pants are natural partners of the anorak on tour. Provides full weather protection and first rate breathability. Move freely with stretch. Confront the wet snow blizzard head on…
- Polyester Oxford main fabric with stretch
- 3Layer membrane construction with water column of 20.000mm
- Water Vapor Permeable of 20.000g/sqm/24h
- Critical seam taped means that main seams are sealed
- Zipped fly, ancle adjuster, waist adjuster, belt loops
- Articulated knee and hip
- Sidepockets, thigh pocket, single rear pokcet
Also see the Dynamic Pants
Paramount tech wool pants are made of what is arguably the best fabric there is.
At least it is the ultimate performance fabric for its purpose; long exhausting but wonderful days out on skis, sometimes during which one is exposed to variable weather conditions. Swiss made – wool combination.
Natural evolution combined with world leading performance technology, stitched together in the nicest way possible. These Paramount products really are as premium as it gets.
Intuitive layout with front pockets. Full fabric stretch. Supreme temperature regulating wool comfort. Ventilating wind resistance and comfort detailing adds to the feeling of being protected. Nothing left to chance. Nature, functionality and looks hand in hand.
- Schoeller® Naturetech™ bonded softshell with Ecodry™
- Wind resistant, water-resistant and extremely breathable
- Merino wool fabric back side
- Very high level all direction stretch
- Soft, comfortable yet hard-wearing fabric construction
- Refined detailing
- Classic front pockets
The hardest trails lead to the greatest rewards. When your route is rough, throw on the KLASH™ women’s lightweight hiking pants. Made from FLEXWURX™ durable softshell fabric, this pant is abrasion resistant and DWR coated. So while you shed bramble patches and cross brackish puddles, you feel dry and comfortable. Don’t shy away from the trail less traveled; blaze it with a pant made for barreling onward.
- Durable Water Repellent Finish for wind and water resistance
- Softshell pant with stretch, style and performance
- Durable softshell with unique 2-tone weave and added abrasion resistance
- Martindale abrasion test rating: passes 50k rubs
- Year-round softshell pant with stretch, style and performance
- Endure the elements with a lightweight hiking pant
Longtime-heralded, best-selling ice climbing pant just got more versatile. Introducing the Iceline Versa Pants; the purpose-built pant for tackling steep ice, warding off abrasions, and providing warmth for the cold climates you can climb in. The Iceline Versa Pants use a newly updated ultra-breathable, three-layer stretch fabric that moves and manages moisture as you work hard throughout the day, while an abrasion-resistant face fabric protects against ice, rope, gear, and whatever obstacles stand in your way of the send.
Insulate yourself against cold and brutal winter weather with protection that’s reliable and comfortable: 45NRTH’s Naughtvind Pants. Designed to layer perfectly over our Naughtvind Bibs, these smartly constructed pants use the same doubleweave fabric as our Naughtvind Jacket — so they breathe, stretch, and protect like nothing else.
- Double weave fabric provides the best combination of weather protection, breathability & stretch
- Zippered rear pockets with side access strategically placed for easy access when riding
- Zippered ventilation at the thighs allows you to dump excess body heat
- Hook and loop webbing waist adjustment is secure and easy to adjust
- Slim ankle pipe fits over 45NRTH boots without creating excess bulk, and hook & loop tab allows for adjustment
Dear Club Ride,
These are rad. Please make them for women. We want the same features, fitted to women and in our size.
I’ve had these a few years now and I never got around to hemming them but they are too long so I roll them up. I am 5’5” and 130 lbs.
Technical and robust, our Fat Jack pant was designed for the epic fat-bike ride on miles of winter single track. Don’t have snow? Don’t fret, the Fat Jack performs in dirt and on pavement just as well.
Our stretch, water resistant double weave fabric with durable canvas leg patches deliver the workman’s pant in a technical package. Reflective accents add night time security. The side leg pockets store all of your goodies securely behind a reflective bound zipper or open them up for full upper leg ventilation.
- 2-Way Stretch
- DWR Finish for Water & Wind
- BYOB Belt Loops (Bring Your Own Belt)
- Articulated Knees & Gusset For Improved Range of Motion
- Zippered Pockets Double For Optional Vents
- 5 Pockets, 2 Front, 2 Zippered Leg, 1 Zippered Rear Pocket
- RideLight Reflective Accents
- Inseam 33″
- This pant is not padded, padded chamois shorts sold separately
- Sport fit
The Summit AmFIB® Lite Pants combine AmFib® Lite fabric on the front and Thermal fabric on the back for the perfect balance of warmth and pedaling performance for all but the coldest days.
Our PI DRY® technology adds water-shedding performance to the Thermal panels so you’ll stay dry when charging through puddles or kicking up snow.
These insulated mountain bike pants with wind and water protection will keep you cranking through the dark days of winter. Wear these pants over your favorite Liner shorts, or wear them over cycling tights for additional warmth.
- ELITE AmFIB® Softshell fabric offers wind and water protection
- Thermal Fleece fabric with water shedding PI Dry® technology on back of knees
- Snap front waist closure with zip fly
- External waist adjustment
- Two zippered security hand pockets and zipped pocket on thigh
- Tailored mountain bike specific fit
- BioViz® reflective elements for low-light visibility
Also see PEARL iZUMi Summit AmFIB Pant
Forget everything you think you know – the Kinetic Alpine Pants will change the way you dress for the mountains. Fully waterproof, highly breathable and stretchy, this is a radical re-approach to protective yet comfortable clothing systems.
The Kinetic Alpine Pants are close-fitting stretch waterproof pants with unrivalled mobility and comfort. Created from Rab’s own Proflex fabric, the inner to quickly wicks away any sweat and moisture, while the outer protects you from the elements.
Ceramic print overlays have then been added to high wear areas such as the seat and knee to increase durability and reduce the risk of snagging or tearing without hindering the flexibility of the fabric.
In addition to this, low profile waist adjustment, zipped expanding ankle closure and knee articulation all ensure high functionality for the mountains. Light and highly packable, a small stuff sack aids easy storage in a pack or clipped to harness.
- High gauge knit wicking lining
- Ceramic print overlays on seat, knees and instep
- Proflex™ stretchy, breathable and waterproof fabric with tough nylon face
- Low profile drawcord waist adjustment
- YKK® reversed fly opening
- 2 YKK® zipped handwarmer pockets
- YKK® zipped expanding ankle closure
- Knee articulation
- Webbing loops at hem for under boot cord attachment
- Fit: Slim
Please leave your reviews, additions and comments for the good of the cause!
Thanks and Happy Trails!