Women’s Winter Cycling Pants for Fat Biking
Stay warm, ride happy. Part II.
Drumroll please, here is a list of women’s winter cycling pants that were recommended by women fat bikers. Also included at the end are a few men’s-only pants (also recommended by women).
Please note, you don’t need an expensive pair of cycling-specific pants for winter fat biking. If you have a ski kit, then you have a fat bike kit.
For years I wore my Swix cross-country ski pants for fat biking. They have a wind-proof front, articulated knees, side zips, and are stretchy. Under those I wore either a light base layer or my cycling bibs.
My system worked well but at some point I became envious of the dudes and their Club Ride Fat Jack pants. I bought a pair, which I like – except I roll them up because they are men’s (and only made in a men’s version). A few years later I found a couple of pants made just for women.
I’ve had these for a year now and I LOVE them. They thought of every detail with the design. I got tired of “making do” with other pants that didn’t quite work and I’m glad I splurged on these. The waist comes up a little higher in the back than most; the zippered cuffs and snaps easily accommodate a few different pairs of boots; I love the adjustable waist with the built in belt; and my favorite part is the zippered pockets on the front of the thighs. I put chemical hand warmers in them when my thighs get cold on the downhill. They are a roomy fit, which is nice because I wear my 3/4 length wind-front bibs underneath.
A women’s water-and wind-resistant pant designed for the dedicated cold-weather rider and the toughest conditions.
- Softshell fabric combines warmth and protectionFive zippered pockets—two hand, one hip, two leg
- Two zippered leg vents provide increased ventilation
- Removable internal gaiter keeps deep snow out of leg openings
- Zippered double-snap front with internal adjustable waist belt
- Zippered leg openings for easy on and off that fits a wide range of boots
$84 – $120
Bike commutes and weekend rides can’t all be 70° and sunny. Sugoi ZeroPlus Wind women’s cycling pants offer warmth and stretch, along with wind- and water-resistant front panels and articulated knees.
- ZeroPlus thermal fabric offers full-motion stretch and warmth
- MicroFine fabric front panels add wind and water resistance
- Wide waistband with internal drawcord secures the comfortable fit
- Zippered hand pockets store essentials
The ultimate do it all women’s mountain biking trouser just got better. The Women’s MT500 Spray Trouser is designed to excel in damp, variable conditions. A waterproof, taped seat panel sheds off the worst of the water kicked up from your back wheel whilst unrestricted movement and comfort is maintained by using a durable stretch nylon fabric for the rest of the trouser.
The fit of these trousers has been engineered so that they can be comfortably worn with knee pads.
- Lightweight, durable, 4-way stretch front panels with DWR finish
- PFC-Free, non-toxic durable water repellent finish
- Waterproof, 3 layer seam taped rear panels for tyre spray protection
- Stretch, wicking waistband with Velcro® side waist
- Durable, seamless crotch panel
- Zipped hand pockets
- Zipped thigh vents with snap down pullers
- Zipped ankle with gusset and snap down pullers
- Clickfast™ liner compatible
- 90 day Satisfaction Guarantee
All day wet rides and constant down pours put high demands on your waterproof clothing. These light but fully sealed pants are made so your technical riding and pedaling ability remain unhindered, even as the weather deteriorates around you.
- GORE-TEX Active fabric is softer and quieter in use for higher comfort
- GORE-TEX Active product: lightweight, extremely breathable, durably waterproof and windproof
- Inseam length 82 cm / 32.3 inches
- Reflective details
- Comfortable elastic waistband
- Pre-shaped knees
- Small inside key pocket on waistband
- Wear-resistant seat reinforcement
- Zippers at lateral hem for easy access with shoes
Longtime-heralded, best-selling ice climbing pant just got more versatile. Introducing the Iceline Versa Pants; the purpose-built pant for tackling steep ice, warding off abrasions, and providing warmth for the cold climates you can climb in. The Iceline Versa Pants use a newly updated ultra-breathable, three-layer stretch fabric that moves and manages moisture as you work hard throughout the day, while an abrasion-resistant face fabric protects against ice, rope, gear, and whatever obstacles stand in your way of the send.
Insulate yourself against cold and brutal winter weather with protection that’s reliable and comfortable: 45NRTH’s Naughtvind Pants. Designed to layer perfectly over our Naughtvind Bibs, these smartly constructed pants use the same doubleweave fabric as our Naughtvind Jacket — so they breathe, stretch, and protect like nothing else.
- Double weave fabric provides the best combination of weather protection, breathability & stretch
- Zippered rear pockets with side access strategically placed for easy access when riding
- Zippered ventilation at the thighs allows you to dump excess body heat
- Hook and loop webbing waist adjustment is secure and easy to adjust
- Slim ankle pipe fits over 45NRTH boots without creating excess bulk, and hook & loop tab allows for adjustment
**I’ve had these a few years now and I never got around to hemming them – they are too long so I roll them up. Also, I wish they had zippered cuffs to accommodate winter boots. I am 5’5” and 130 lbs and have the men’s small.
Technical and robust, our Fat Jack pant was designed for the epic fat-bike ride on miles of winter single track. Don’t have snow? Don’t fret, the Fat Jack performs in dirt and on pavement just as well.
Our stretch, water resistant double weave fabric with durable canvas leg patches deliver the workman’s pant in a technical package. Reflective accents add night time security. The side leg pockets store all of your goodies securely behind a reflective bound zipper or open them up for full upper leg ventilation.
- 2-Way Stretch
- DWR Finish for Water & Wind
- BYOB Belt Loops (Bring Your Own Belt)
- Articulated Knees & Gusset For Improved Range of Motion
- Zippered Pockets Double For Optional Vents
- 5 Pockets, 2 Front, 2 Zippered Leg, 1 Zippered Rear Pocket
- RideLight Reflective Accents
- Inseam 33″
- This pant is not padded, padded chamois shorts sold separately
- Sport fit
The Summit AmFIB® Lite Pants combine AmFib® Lite fabric on the front and Thermal fabric on the back for the perfect balance of warmth and pedaling performance for all but the coldest days.
Our PI DRY® technology adds water-shedding performance to the Thermal panels so you’ll stay dry when charging through puddles or kicking up snow.
These insulated mountain bike pants with wind and water protection will keep you cranking through the dark days of winter. Wear these pants over your favorite Liner shorts, or wear them over cycling tights for additional warmth.
- ELITE AmFIB® Softshell fabric offers wind and water protection
- Thermal Fleece fabric with water shedding PI Dry® technology on back of knees
- Snap front waist closure with zip fly
- External waist adjustment
- Two zippered security hand pockets and zipped pocket on thigh
- Tailored mountain bike specific fit
- BioViz® reflective elements for low-light visibility
Also see PEARL iZUMi Summit AmFIB Pant
Forget everything you think you know – the Kinetic Alpine Pants will change the way you dress for the mountains. Fully waterproof, highly breathable and stretchy, this is a radical re-approach to protective yet comfortable clothing systems.
The Kinetic Alpine Pants are close-fitting stretch waterproof pants with unrivalled mobility and comfort. Created from Rab’s own Proflex fabric, the inner to quickly wicks away any sweat and moisture, while the outer protects you from the elements.
Ceramic print overlays have then been added to high wear areas such as the seat and knee to increase durability and reduce the risk of snagging or tearing without hindering the flexibility of the fabric.
In addition to this, low profile waist adjustment, zipped expanding ankle closure and knee articulation all ensure high functionality for the mountains. Light and highly packable, a small stuff sack aids easy storage in a pack or clipped to harness.
- High gauge knit wicking lining
- Ceramic print overlays on seat, knees and instep
- Proflex™ stretchy, breathable and waterproof fabric with tough nylon face
- Low profile drawcord waist adjustment
- YKK® reversed fly opening
- 2 YKK® zipped handwarmer pockets
- YKK® zipped expanding ankle closure
- Knee articulation
- Webbing loops at hem for under boot cord attachment
- Fit: Slim
Also see Winter Boots for Fatbiking. Pleave your comments for the good of the cause and subscribe to the blog!
Thanks and Happy Trails!